General shipping rates & notes on general cargo...

Start-up issues and world-building for this OC/Firefly 'Verse creative sandbox project

General shipping rates & notes on general cargo...

Postby Whitney » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:58 pm

Hey! Something I have been intending to post about for weeks now, and haven't gotten off my duff and done:

As mentioned elsewhere, I really want to keep track of the ship's financials -- this sort of detail-wank helps me try to visualize the daily life and daily concerns of the ship better (or so I at least like to think), and makes an interesting plotty exercise. However, something that has stumped me ever since our first Firefly d20 campaign years ago has been the question of: how do we figure out what the ship charges to carry passengers and cargo?

That issue was always just sort of handwaved in campaigns, and I've never seen anything detailed in any fanfic anywhere, either. But then, when I was helping Ron plug data into the Worlds of the Verse spreadsheet, I realized something. Any sort of standardized passenger rates or cargo rates should depend on how many AU are being traveled, right? That seems obvious in retrospect... :roll: But sure it took me a long time to get there!

With this in mind, here's what I'm proposing to use as my "industry standards" for cargo and passenger rates in the 'Verse: please, anyone with better ideas (and more shipping experience!) please weigh in!

* the industry standard is that 1 AU traveled = 3.5 fuel tonnage spent. (Individual ship fuel consumption obviously will vary, but this is the standard met by the regular Firefly model)
* the trade union standard shipping rate for containers is 10 cred per AU/per container
* the standard passenger rate is 5 credits per AU/per passenger
* Ron and I are assuming that the Jin Dui's cargo bay can fit 4 standard cargo containers, with the ship's current configuration in the cargo bay.

So -- for example, the Persephone to Greenleaf run is an estimated 33.5 AU. That would make the shipping for each of the three Kazantzakis Shipping containers we contracted to haul for them between the Eavesdown Docks and their facility on Greenleaf (as described in "Sihnon Standard Time") worth $335/total job value of $1,005. A single passenger shipping the same route would be $167.50.
Captain Cooper
(aka Whitney)
Whitney

Re: General shipping rates & notes on general cargo...

Postby Whitney » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:05 pm

As another example -- I'm estimating that the general galley budget for 1 month for 7 crew is about $1,050. Our crew isn't dining primarily on protein paste -- if they were, cutting back to a primarily-tofu & play dough diet would economize to the tune of 1 month of vittles for a crew of 7 being around $525.
Captain Cooper
(aka Whitney)
Whitney

Return to Jin Dui: Character & World Dev Discussion