[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
jin-dui.swartzer.com • View topic - Drones & the Verse

Drones & the Verse

Start-up issues and world-building for this OC/Firefly 'Verse creative sandbox project

Drones & the Verse

Postby Whitney » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:19 pm

Hey -- I thought I'd throw this question out there for folks to mull over. How do we see drone technology applied in the Verse?
Captain Cooper
(aka Whitney)
Whitney

Re: Drones & the Verse

Postby Bill » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:08 am

I would think that drone tech would mostly be used by and for ranchers. No weaponry, of course.

Ranchers could make use of a drone by flying it over graze land to see how the forage fares. Also it might be a good way to scout for anything that would prey on herds, space-wolves, poachers, roaming rocks... whatever.

Of course the scouting aspect wouldn't be limited to just ranchers and the like. Law enforcement agencies with very large tracts of land and few personnel (ala the Texas Rangers), criminal organizations wanting to secure a remote rendezvous site, etc.

Military style drones, or weaponized civilian drones, I'm not sure I can see a practical use for (off the top of my head). Especially out in the Rim. The tech base is very spotty, and everybody would know of any official organization that had weaponized drones and take appropriate measures and counter-measures (as appropriate).

In short, I think drones would be available in very limited numbers and would be used infrequently.

Just my opinion, of course.
Bill Williams / Eddie Lerner
(aka Jonathan)
Bill

Postby Whitney » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:38 am

Captain Cooper
(aka Whitney)
Whitney

Postby Ron » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:00 pm

I agree out on the Rim most ordinary folk won't be using drones. I could see large landholders like Patience having a few just because they have so much acreage to watch. Those probably wouldn't be anything fancy, maybe the equivalent of the hobbyist radio-controlled model planes from our world, plus a few off-the-shelf cameras and a processor. There would probably be relatively cheap software to let them fly a pattern without having to be controlled, avoid collisions, and return home when it's time to refuel.

On the other hand, I imagine somebody like Jubal Early who does a lot of sneaky work out on the Rim might carry a much higher-tech drone or two. If your drone looks like a vulture from far off, and mimics vulture behavior, the average rim folk would automatically assume it was a vulture because they aren't used to seeing drones.

On Border worlds I'd imagine drones would be much more common. Rich ranchers on Persephone might even use them to herd cattle, or just keep an eye out for problems. City governments could use drones for anything from police work to traffic monitoring. There'd be kits for hobbyists, with big-brother overrides built-in of course-- can't have people flying over restricted areas or interfering with traffic after all.

And then you have the Core. Sure, we didn't see many drones flying around on Ariel, but that doesn't mean they weren't there. With newtech, they could easily be the size of hummingbirds or even insects.

My brain is totally boggling at all the possible uses the Alliance government would find for drones, let alone what Alliance military or intelligence agencies would do.
Marcus Chang
(Ron Swartzendruber)
Ron

Return to Jin Dui: Character & World Dev Discussion