[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
jin-dui.swartzer.com • View topic - World-Building for our 'Verse & Serenity continuty

World-Building for our 'Verse & Serenity continuty

Start-up issues and world-building for this OC/Firefly 'Verse creative sandbox project

World-Building for our 'Verse & Serenity continuty

Postby Whitney » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:54 pm

Starting a discussion thread for questions of world-building for the 'Verse. At this point, there are Firefly comics, Firefly novels, Firefly fanfic aplenty, two different Firefly RPG games, and we're promised there's an MMO in development. Plus -- a really kick-ass new board game as well. I think we should sift through the different Firefly titles and products out there and consider what we (or do not) want to include in our own private sandbox's canon.

For one: do we all accept the events of the film Serenity as-is? Did the events of the film happen and is the Reaver mystery solved? Or is Wash is still playing with his dinosaurs out there somewhere?

Is the Serenity and her crew active out there in the black, or are we some AU 'Verse in which Malcolm never purchased his ship?

If the Serenity and her crew are active out there, do we want to make an early decision to avoid all possible copyright issues and just make it standard operating procedure that the crew of our ship never interact directly with the Serenity and her crew?

Just something to consider -- you know with my past fan clubbing experiences I lean hard on the "gotta make clear foundation decisions NOW!", but seriously... you may need to take turns that with the make-up of the group we've proposed, that sort of clear rules-setting may not be necessary!
Captain Cooper
(aka Whitney)
Whitney

Re: World-Building for our 'Verse & Serenity continuty

Postby Ron » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:49 pm

Personally I'd prefer that the movie never happened and the Reavers are still a scary mystery. I like the idea that the Serenity is out there somewhere, but it's probably best if we don't interact with the characters much if ever. That's not as important to me as the Reaver thing, though.

Another big question is which map to use. There are a few floating around from RPG books and the like, but my personal favorite is the "Complete and Official Map of the 'Verse" that can be bought on QMX Online . There are two free companion documents: "The 'Verse in Numbers" version 2.0 () contains a massive amount of astrophysical data extrapolated from the map, and "The Arc of the 'Verse" () which boils that down to twelve pages (plus front and back cover) and uses a much more visually-oriented presentation. You only need to buy the QMX map if you want the gorgeous art.

That said, if anyone is particularly attached to a different map, it's not a deal-breaker for me.
Marcus Chang
(Ron Swartzendruber)
Ron

Postby lothien » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:00 am

I, too, prefer if we don't include the movie in our canon. I think it would give us more freedom. It was kind of meant to tie stuff up that we probably don't want tied.

As for whether we include the official characters, I admit I would be tickled to know that they are out there in our version, even if our characters have never heard of them, which I am also fine with. I am so used to a fandom that pointedly discourages that. And I don't think we have to AU it past that. Don't use their named villians, etc., any of that. It may be our basically private sandbox, but it is on the internet, so better safe than a hassle.

I took a brief look at the links Ron posted - I will have to spend some time studying those maps, etc. I may need help. Heh.

Does anyone have any recommendations for art links - stuff I can use for reference (other than the obvious show source ^^)? I am tempted to plug "firefly" into dA and see what turns up. Good fandoms or fan art? I can google, but if you guys know of good fandom folks out there, it would narrow things down. I'd like to see what others might have there out there.
I *did* discover that I can watch the series in HD on Amazon for free, which is nifty, since I don't own it.

ETA: LOL - my character may have to have amnesia - I had no idea how much I don't know.
lothien

Postby Whitney » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:21 am

Captain Cooper
(aka Whitney)
Whitney

Postby Ellenmillion » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:39 am

I have no particular preference for Serenity having happened or not.

And as much as I love the series crew, I'd like them not to play more than brief cameos (at the most. Ever.)... but I think their existence is fine. I don't see a reason to make an AU.

I have not read ANY of the comics or spin-offs, so I'd like it if we left those non-canon and used the show only for our source material.

I also have no map preference.
Abigail Baldwin
(Ellen Million)
Ellenmillion

Postby Whitney » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:10 am

Cool beans! Sounds like four of us are onboard with the series as our basic canon, and Serenity itself having not occurred, which in effect means that the Reavers remain a mystery, Miranda never happened, and the events of the film haven't yet happened. Although...

... all stop. D'uh. We need to determine how many years after the Unification War armistance we are when we begin. Because if we start just a few years after the war, then we are effectively playing BEFORE the start of the Firefly series. Granted, considering how long it takes to travel from port to port, our timeline & game time will advance faster than we probably are prepared for. But... hmmm... some crunchy continuity things here have my going sideways like a crab in racing stripes... let me try to catch up with my thoughts and get them written down.

First -- here's a possible issue: I'm afraid that for me to effective write anything, I have to ground it in a question of WHEN -- so when it comes to continuity, I am going to want to try and track things via the timeline, with somewhat-reliable transit times between ports. Is that going to be okay with everyone, or is that going to but too much of a fun-drain? Because for me, part of the fun is going to be the whole juggling act of figuring out the day-to-day survival -- like when they've run out of real food and have only protein paste and a bag of moldy surplus onions, yet they're still a week out from Persephone. That sort of detail-wank thing is what's gonna just make my toes curl! Will that type of details-wank focus gonna deflate the fun for others?

Second -- when we say "the events of the film 'Serenity' didn't happen", we are essentially saying that the Alliance gas experimentation on Miranda did not happen. Because -- again, using the exhaustively researched "Unofficial Fan Timeline" as a guide, in the Canon Verse, the Reavers are functionally a pretty recent development! If we are going to use an alternative origin mystery for the Reavers, they can have been a rumored/known threat for longer than the 12 years cited in the film.

(Just to illustrate this better: here's a shortened timeline (using that exhaustive GDoc "Unofficial Timeline of the Verse" as a guide):

*2500: The central planets of the Core which form the Anglo-Sino Alliance decide that all of the settled planets have to join under their rule. Rim and border worlds dissent; politics behind the independence movement begins gathering steam.

*2506: Poisoning of Miranda/creation of Reavers

*2506: Hostilities start in Unification War

*2511: Late March: Start of the battle of Serenity Valley

*2511.May 26: Formal truce signed at Serenity Valley, signalling the end of the Unification War

*2512: Malcom Reynolds purchases a Firefly Class II which he christens Serenity

*2517: April or May: events of the "Serenity Pilot" episode take place

*2517: Late May: events of "Train Job" take place

*2518: events of the film "Serenity" take place

So... our next central question really needs to be -- WHEN do we want to start date for this to begin? I'm assuming 3 or 4 years after the war, as that's enough time for characters who served during the hostilities to have tried (and failed) to return to a "normal life".
Captain Cooper
(aka Whitney)
Whitney

Postby Ellenmillion » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:37 am

I had also presumed 3-4 years post-Unification as a starting point, and I think that I prefer that Miranda IS the source of the reavers, we just don't know it yet. By saying Serenity hasn't happened, I assumed it just hadn't happened YET.

What's the scope of our project? For some reason, I was thinking we'd be starting in 2114 (or so), and I didn't see the timeline as proceeding forward like it does in Kaz or RTH, but figured it would be much denser, with a lot less long-term stuff and a lot more dashing from one emergency to the next, barely making ends meet for a year or two in world (but likely many years out of character!). Plenty of room for adventure before we get reaver answers... or we can decide at THAT point to veer off from canon.

(But Miranda isn't at all a sticking point for me; if we want to use the series to jump off to some other reaver explanation, I will happily play along!)
Abigail Baldwin
(Ellen Million)
Ellenmillion

Postby Whitney » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:56 am

Captain Cooper
(aka Whitney)
Whitney

Postby lothien » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:22 am

I sort of assumed that we were just going to play in the Between also - that in ours, we just haven't gotten to that point (the answers in the film) yet.
"Sully" R. Sullivan
(Viki)
lothien

Postby Whitney » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:40 am

Okay -- just for squees and grins, how about a starting date of spring 2514? That's only 500 years away, and putting the characters on the ship in the spring will mean they can have something fun happen on Unification Day (late May). It'll mean, technically, slightly less than three years since the end of the war (May 26, 2511), but you can still squeeze a fair amount of back story into nearly-three-years...

Thoughts and opinions on that? OOC, I like commemorating the start-date of the project on the timeline -- it makes it a little easier, years on down the creative line, to remember when, exactly, this whole craziness started! (Wish we'd done the same with Kadanzer AND River Twine!)

Also -- how do we want to handle presenting dates in the Verse?

This is kind of a crazy continuity issue, because when you start thinking about it... well, none of the founding planets of the Core should have an orbital day or orbital year that really matches our historic Roman/Western European calendar. Heck -- if they're going to continue using an Earthy calendar, it should probably be a traditional Chinese one, y'know? But... we should be using frames of time which we can easily comprehend ourselves. And the webbase coding for the website timeline is already set up to be based around an Earth-year.

So -- maybe there's a traditional "ship time" following the old-Earth 24 hour day/alterday schedule which all ships, ports, stations and such follow; planets and moons with honest-to-god real day/night cycles may have a separate planetary time and planetary calendar, but one of the Alliance rules is that all official business is conducted by official Londinium time (LT), which is based on old Earth Roman schedule, and which traditional "ship time" conforms too? Seems like a canon-friendly excuse to me...
Captain Cooper
(aka Whitney)
Whitney

Next

Return to Jin Dui: Character & World Dev Discussion