[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
jin-dui.swartzer.com • View topic - Carver's arrival & crew conflicts (... and Tilly's arrival!)

Carver's arrival & crew conflicts (... and Tilly's arrival!)

Start-up issues and world-building for this OC/Firefly 'Verse creative sandbox project

Carver's arrival & crew conflicts (... and Tilly's arrival!)

Postby Whitney » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:11 pm

Captain Cooper
(aka Whitney)
Whitney

Re: Carver's arrival & crew conflicts

Postby Whitney » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:23 pm

To put everything in context, with the proposed changes to the timeline:

2514.May 21: date of the "Lucky Day" fic; Carver joins the crew.

2514.June 4: Jin Dui reaches Greenleaf and picks up Tilly.

2514.June 6: Jin Dui departs Greenleaf, headed back to Beylix.

2514.June 11: Jin Dui returns to Beylix. They spend some time dirtside, performing repairs and buying/selling cargo.

2514.June 14 to 16: retconned date for "Collecting Strays" -- Rebecca B. (character name to change) to join the crew.

2514.June 18: Jin Dui departs for her tour of the Rim.

I don't know yet where Rebecca will depart, although I think I'd prefer a world or moon in the Blue Cluster rather than the Georgia Cluster.

I would love to know -- at which point will Abby and Chang start thinking about bailing on the ship -- for instance, if Abby is thinking of leaving, why not leave on Greenleaf (where probably Hoss's clan would be quick to offer her a job on Raikirua Island?) or on Beylix?

If Abby or Chang are thinking of departing the ship -- do either of them ever make that known to the captain? Do they tell any other members of the crew?

What are Fatima, Halo, Hoss & Sully all thinking after the events of "Lucky Day" ?
Captain Cooper
(aka Whitney)
Whitney

Re: Carver's arrival & crew conflicts

Postby Whitney » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:07 am

Captain Cooper
(aka Whitney)
Whitney

Re: Carver's arrival & crew conflicts (... and Tilly's arriv

Postby The Asset » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:30 pm

I'm not thinking Carver is going to try and ingratiate himself at all. He's not hostile toward them, but he knows their mood toward him, and it doesn't phase him. He's used to it. If anything, enemy territory is home, sweet home. Plus, he's quiet, which tends to make people feel more hostile towards him, as they think he's hiding something. I think we may have a moment where he saves a crewmember - perhaps Tilly? I'm a huge fan of the big, gruff, antihero-types having relationships with misfits (i.e. the Rottie and possibly Tilly) which, while the crew is still suspicious, sheds some good grace on him. Thoughts?
The Asset

Postby Brouwer » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:57 pm

I agree with 'The Asset' (Nice screen name, btw Mir), in that I think Carver would definitely earn some respect (if not immediate trust) in the eyes of the crew if he were to save someone. And I like the idea of it being Tilly, though if some people are thinking of jumping ship at Greenleaf, then the time frame may be vital and he'll have to do something grand before the landing. Also, it may not have to be 'saving', per se: it could be an act of kindness that he thinks no one else will see. For example, if he caught Tilly crying; instead of pushing her off when she latches on for a hug and a good cry (because she has no personal bubble), he actually tries to comfort her a little. Not that Tilly's much of a cryer, but I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to give her a reason. She's had it rough.

Another 'saving' thought that I quite like; suppose on one of those days on Greenleaf, Cooper and her entourage are having their negotiations on the beach (because why not? They need the fresh air, and that way Tilly can play but be close enough for them to call if needed). Then without explanation, Carver just bolts for the water, dropping his coat and holster to the sand as he goes: seconds later he emerges carrying one of the many local children who was swimming with Tilly. Or, since the local kids are likely skilled swimmers, perhaps Carver saw the kid getting sucked out by a riptide, and he dove in to support said kid along the coastline until they can get out of it.
[url]ambassador-brouwer.deviantart.com/
[/url]
"God is not hurried along in the Time-stream of this universe any more than an author is hurried along in the imaginary time of his his own novel. He has infinite attention for each of us."
-C.S. Lewis
Brouwer

Postby The Asset » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:58 pm

a) I like your signature - Lewis FTW!
b) Ooh, I quite like that idea. I LOVE it, in fact. If we wanted to, the kid /could/ be Tilly - is there evidence to support she would be a strong swimmer?
The Asset

Postby Ellenmillion » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:40 pm

Abigail Baldwin
(Ellen Million)
Ellenmillion

Postby Whitney » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:15 pm

Captain Cooper
(aka Whitney)
Whitney

Postby Brouwer » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:38 pm

[url]ambassador-brouwer.deviantart.com/
[/url]
"God is not hurried along in the Time-stream of this universe any more than an author is hurried along in the imaginary time of his his own novel. He has infinite attention for each of us."
-C.S. Lewis
Brouwer

Postby Whitney » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:00 pm

Captain Cooper
(aka Whitney)
Whitney

Next

Return to Jin Dui: Character & World Dev Discussion