A question about the money...

Start-up issues and world-building for this OC/Firefly 'Verse creative sandbox project

A question about the money...

Postby Whitney » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:36 pm

Hey folks -- another financials question for you!

As players, what are your wishes in terms of how much of a struggle financially you want to see the ship and crew deal with?

As a baseline, understand that at this point in timeline, the Jin Dui needs approximately $100K in repair work done. That's on top of day-to-day operations, buying fuel, buying food, and maybe paying crew wages.

We've got an opportunity in the fallout from the "Lucky Day" fic for the ship to have hit a significant financial fallout. While I don't see them as walking away with a lot of cold, hard cash in-hand, they can wind up with a windfall in equipment and spare parts, and what they don't use directly themselves can be turned good money and lots of replacement parts and repairs completed.

My personal opinion is that I don't want to see the ship get **too** financially comfortable, but I would love to have the current windfall to a juicy one, and be able to maybe knock down that 100K by half or so, plus give the crew a nice bonus. I think the overall financial situation for the ship should go in cycles of boom and bust -- but I'd love to throw a bit of a flush at them right now, if other players don't feel that would be too Monty Hall of me!
Captain Cooper
(aka Whitney)
Whitney

Re: A question about the money...

Postby Ellenmillion » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:46 am

I like this - limping along in truly dire financial straits too long would get old, but keeping it tight enough to be a common worry is good.
Abigail Baldwin
(Ellen Million)
Ellenmillion

Postby Angie » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:52 pm

I like the occasional windfall in between times of "oh, shoot, oatmeal again?" I always go by the writing tenet that too much of ANYTHING will numb reader, writer, and character eventually. We don't want that!
Angie

Postby Bill » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:28 pm

Han Solo and his financial woes might be a good model to consider. He and Chewie earn and loose fortunes on a regular basis. Solo's continued fiscal crisis with Jabba is of course a key plot element in all three of the original Star Wars movies. Struggle and windfall make for good story.
Bill Williams / Eddie Lerner
(aka Jonathan)
Bill

Postby Ron » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:12 am

Another vote for variation. Financial hardship is often more interesting than wealth (for fictional characters, anyway) but either can get stale. Heck, even the Serenity crew had it pretty good for an episode or two after Ariel.
Marcus Chang
(Ron Swartzendruber)
Ron

Postby Whitney » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:40 am

Great! I want them to pull in some solid loot from the "Lucky Day" -- I just don't want anyone to think I'm going to go all Monty Haul...
Captain Cooper
(aka Whitney)
Whitney

Return to Jin Dui: Character & World Dev Discussion